Nomad Forum Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eras and Engines

2 posters

Go down

Eras and Engines Empty Eras and Engines

Post by ^Tomisama^ Thu 17 Sep 2009, 03:21

In a pm conversation today with Glyndwr, I started to explain what I believe to be the evolution of Total War gamming. I thought it might be of interest to examine that development as a means to understand the trials and tribulations we are forced to endure.

The simple version (I am very simple) breaks down to game engines, and the eras they were used in.

It goes something like this:

Shogun and Mongol Invasion, Medieval and Viking Invasion, were all the same game engine.

Rome and Barbarian Invasion, Medieval II and Kingdoms shared the next revision engine.

Empire and Napoleon are the latest engine version.

Each engine’s development overlaps the previous, so that (for instance) when the 2D (sprite) Shogun WE/MI was coming out, another development team was already working on what would eventually become the 3D Rome Total War (though they hadn’t decided on that era yet).

This is why when we get the next engine revision game, there seems to be a break in basic understanding on the part of the development team. The recurring question is why didn’t they do this or that the same way as they did before?

The answer is that this is an entirely new game, from the ground up. It was made by different people on different computer systems, than the previous sets of game engine games.

By the time that Napoleon hits the shelves, I believe that this latest game will have been pretty much through its basic development stages, and will be the best of the best yet. And that somewhere another team will be starting to work on the next engine base, something we have not even dreamed of yet.

Keep the faith – good hunting!
^Tomisama^
^Tomisama^
Nomad
Nomad

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Eras and Engines Empty Re: Eras and Engines

Post by ^Tsavong^ Sat 19 Sep 2009, 11:41

Makes sence though I expect they will use this engine for more than just Empire and Napoleon to get there moneys worth out of it as if you include the expansions each engine got four titles.

I also quite like the Empire engine.
^Tsavong^
^Tsavong^
Nomad
Nomad

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ^Tomisama^ Sat 19 Sep 2009, 13:27

Following the established pattern, they will use this engine for one more new era game and its expansion; I am expecting the American Civil War with maybe a Franco Prussion expansion Wink
^Tomisama^
^Tomisama^
Nomad
Nomad

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: